Re: HTTP Proxy-Status Parameter for Next-Hop Aliases

Hey,

Responding to one point, so snipping:

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022, 17:33 Tommy Pauly, <tpauly@apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Thanks for the review! Comments below.
>

> 3) One of the use-cases for draft-pauly-httpbis-alias-proxy-status may be
> for influencing connection coalescing behaviors. Since some clients use "is
> the IP address that the proxy is connecting to overlapping with the
> rrset(s) used by other connections" having the full IP address rrset lists
> for A and AAAA responses might be worthwhile.
>

> While the connection-coalescing use case is interesting, I think it is
> more complex and requires a way to request getting full sets of DNS RRs
> back. The approach of proxy-status is to describe what was connected to,
> and I don’t think it makes sense to add that information here. I certainly
> think there’s room for new headers that would allow clients to request
> specific DNS records from a proxy during CONNECT, but that is a much larger
> and less clearly scoped direction.

I agree this is a valid use case and I'd like to work on a solution to it.
But I think it's out of scope here. The interactions between client, proxy,
target and DNS are different and more complex; they add state that next-hop
alias doesn't need to care about.

Consider me a volunteer to work on better proxied coalescing in the future.

Cheers
Lucas