Re: HTTP Unprompted Authentication

You summarized the landscape pretty well - the main goal of asymmetric
cryptography here is the case where the origin is sharded (e.g., the
multi-CDN use case) and you don't want one of the shards to be able to
impersonate a user to another shard. An example scenario is running
on-ramps to Tor distributed amongst volunteers. This allows you to share
the credentials of authorized users while preventing impersonation. I also
agree with you that paths tend to leak not only in browser history, but in
server access logs, etc.

David