Re: Idempotency-Key for resuming requests (TUS Resumable Uploads Protocol)

On Oct 7, 2022, at 08:02, Marius Kleidl <marius@transloadit.com> wrote:

> Dear Austin,
>
> you brought up a good point by throwing Idempotency-Key into the recent Interim meeting. Idempotency and resumability are related but not the same, because when resuming an upload you want to start the data transfer at a different offset to avoid transmitting the same data again. I am missing this part from your proposal. How does the client obtain the information which data the server has already received and which part it must still transmit? Or did I just miss that piece?

Indeed, I hand-waved away the details about how exactly the unsent data is resumed, and how you resynchronize the client state with the server (determining how many bytes the server received or lost). I assumed the current technique, using an Upload-Offset header and making a HEAD request, will suffice.

But since GET/HEAD is supposed to be cachable (and so returning a client-specific Upload-Offset would be dubious), let me propose an alternative way of resynchronizing the client state, there's three parts to this:

(1) While you are making the first upload, the server can (optionally) periodically send “1xx Received" responses indicating how many bytes have been saved to durable storage. This allows the client to forget about these bytes, saving memory. When resuming an upload, the client can start from the last sent “1xx Received” offset.

(2) If you make a RESUME request with no upload, then the server simply returns how many bytes it has saved. This just changes the HEAD method <https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-httpbis-resumable-upload-00.html#name-offset-retrieving-procedure-2> out with the new method.

(3) You make a RESUME request with an upload body, however you don’t know the offset. So you wait for the server to send the “1xx Received” offset indicating the bytes received from the previous request; the client then resumes the upload at this point (and making additional “1xx Received” responses as it processes the incoming data). (Note how this is quite similar to the 100 Continue workflow, where the client waits for acknowledgement from the server before proceeding with the upload.)

Finally, yes, it also seems to me that idempotency and resumability aren't exactly the same in general. It occurred to me, a request can be idempotent because it overwrites the server state entirely (PUT), or because the request is conditional (If-Match).

What’s important here is both Idempotency-Key and resumable uploads are the same type of conditional request: the request should only be executed if it hasn’t previously been completed.

Thanks,

Austin.