Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-httpbis-binary-message-01

From: Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 09:10:28 -0800
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>, Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>, Christopher Wood <caw@heapingbits.net>
I only have a few comments.

The use cases are certainly there, i.e. " encoding of HTTP messages that
can be conveyed outside of an HTTP protocol". We have done this for a long
time, in many forms but all encoded with protocol buffers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_Buffers>.

I wonder if an http-wg version of "ASN.1" definition is needed here. We
certainly won't switch to bhttp anytime soon, and there will likely be
performance gaps too to adopt such a new encoding.

When streaming is needed, a new wire protocol will likely be needed in
order to tunnel bhttp.