Re: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-targeted-cache-control-03: (with COMMENT)

HI Éric,

Thanks for the comments; responses below.

> On 14 Jan 2022, at 1:22 am, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Generic comment: while the document appears to be very generic (barring my
> comment below), it actually only requests IANA for a "CDN-Cache-Control"
> targeted header, I.e., should this be reflected in the title ?

Originally it was, but we got some strong representations that it should be a more broad framework, rather than just for that. "Targeted HTTP Cache Control and the CDN-Cache-Control Header Field" seems a bit wordy...

> -- Section 1 --
> Is there any reason why the enterprise caches/proxies are not mentioned in the
> first § ?

Speaking very generally, there usually isn't a relationship between those devices and the services they're caching, so there isn't a strong motivation to target directives at them specifically. That use isn't prohibited, of course -- it's just not very common, so we didn't think it worth calling out.

> -- Section 2.2 --
> As the target list is merely a local decision, why are the behaviours specified
> as a "MUST" and not as a "SHOULD" ? I.e., after all it is all local decisions
> and there could be local constraints/restrictions. There is also no negotiation
> between the cache and its upstream cache/origin that could contractually bind
> the 2 parties.

The behaviour needs to be deterministic (there's a long history of caches taking liberty with directives, at the expense of interoperability). That's not to say it's inflexible; the target list is under control of the cache, and can be adapted on a per-request basis. It's just that when a request 'hits' the target list, it needs to operate in a deterministic fashion.

Also, if we specified as SHOULD, we'd need to describe what conditions satisfy the SHOULD...

> == NITS ==
>
> -- Section 1 --
> In "a Web site", does "web" really deserve being capitalised ?

It's this way because I've written a lot for the W3C, where 'Web' is still the norm. I'm reasonably sure the RPC will make a decision that's consistent with our style. :)

> -- Section 2.1 --
> In "as if the field were not present" should field be in the plural form ?

No, I don't think so.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/