Re: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-httpbis-selftrace-00.txt

Robin,

On the privacy question -- indeed the user doesn't know what info is being
shared but note that this is a server-side log that is being streamed to
the client. This is no different than the server logging it directly. The
primary value here is for a user to log a "problematic" connection, where
otherwise servers in general do log random connections for perf analysis.

This solves a real problem right now for us which is to be able to grab
server-side traces for specific repeatable performance problems on certain
connections. A client can tell us there's a perf issue with a particular
domain, but without much else, we have to try and repro it, and without the
client's setup, we are often unable to easily do this.

With this mechanism, we can ask the reporter to send us a self-trace for
the repeatable issue. This is quite similar to Chrome netlogs (which are
requested from users who report issues,
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6271171), except that it is
server side logs.

So, we don't stream qlog; the current format is based on what was easiest
for us to do. Importantly, this doc isn't about the format, it's about a
mechanism to spit out logs that are local to a server. We might even want
to send some server infra specific info that we can send as an encrypted
blob in this stream.

I don't think this should be in the qlog doc. Of course there is value in
emitting qlog -- one can build and use standard tools and such around this
if it were to be emitted in qlog format. But I don't see this as a reason
to limit this mechanism to emit only qlog.

- jana