Re: Migrating a spec to structured fields

Roberto,

Thank you for providing this transition document, I think that collecting these will be helpful. I went through a similar exercise formally defining the new header format for Message Signatures in this pending PR:

https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/1411 <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/1411>

We don’t have a full ABNF in there yet, but I’m seeing that we should add that in a future PR now and this is a good example of how to incorporate the fields and formats. We’ll have similar restrictions, like the expiration being non-negative.

And from an engineering perspective, I also pulled together both a client and server implementation of the signatures draft based on that PR, and using a Structure Fields library from Julian I was able to get it together in relatively short order as a result. Having a deterministic serialization for structured data is REALLY helpful for a security standard, so it’s been good to move in that direction.

 — Justin