Re: Cache control in trailers?

Poul,

If there is a proposal to make trailers more palatable/usable by some 3xx
status code or some other signal in the header, then there is no need to
include some XOR mechanism. If servers want that kind of behaviour, then
they can come up with a new content type and send the nonce in the trailer.

The conversation here is really talking past each other.  The
original proposal is to support cache-control fields in trailers.  I don't
think anyone has said that is a really bad idea and most a
general supportive (although I'm a bit dubious on the use-case , but
recent posts have clarified that).  The counter is not that we shouldn't do
that, but that that trailers are generally not used and that there are some
proposals to make them more usable generally and not just for
cache-control.   So I see lots of actual agreement, but lots of posts like
there is disagreement???

So Mark... your original proposal was just about the Cache-Control field.
 Do you still think that it is only that field that needs support in
trailers?  What about Set-Cookie, Last-Modified, ETag, Retry-After, Age,
Expires, etc.   aren't these fields also affected by the use-case you have
outlined?   Do you still think a single field proposal is sufficient or is
a more general solution needed?

cheers

Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> CTO http://webtide.com