Re: Cache control in trailers?

--------
Martin Thomson writes:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021, at 19:22, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > If we want enable that, we should move *all* headers and status to the
> > trailer, so that no confusion is possible.
>
> Oddly, I agree, though this comes with a whole lot of problems with message processing at intermediaries and whatnot.

I'm not sure I see any _major_ problems.

If the client has indicated it can do 142, a non-policy intermediary can just pass stuff along, and that realizes the full production/transmission overlap.

Once the trailers arrive, the intermediary can decide if it wants to cache the object for future requests.

A policy intermediary will need to buffer the entire response before it can do its politiking (unless out-of-band information has given it other options.)

Usually that would be a CDN close to the eventual consumer or a corporate smut-filter, so almost the entire overlap will still be realized.

But yes, there will be implementation details.

> > The final bit is for requestors to indicate that they grok 142, I would
> > be willing to abuse Accept-Encoding for that:
> >
> > 	Accept-Encoding: gzip, brotli, 142
>
> Isn't this sort of thing what TE was originally designed for?

Good point.