Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7230 (6333)

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 01:52:57PM -0500, John R. Levine wrote:

> That PDF was generated mechanically from the definitive text RFC.  We use a
> generic text to PDF converter (I can check which one) and it's not
> surprising that it uses heuristics to guess which kind of quote to use, nor
> is it surprising that it sometimes guesses wrong in technical text.

But here there are clearly two distinct characters, one is 0x27 and the
other one is 0x60. Both are perfectly printable ASCII characters, which
is why this is particularly surprising.

> If you want to copy and paste ABNF, for heaven's sake copy it from the
> definitive text version, not the PDF.

Sure but when just checking for a message validity, the PDF or even a
printed copy are commonly used as well.

Best regards,
Willy