Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

> On 4 Nov 2020, at 21:40, Austin Wright <aaa@bzfx.net> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 3, 2020, at 18:07, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>>
>> As discussed in the October 202 Interim, this is a Call for Adoption for the HTTP SEARCH method draft:
>>  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-search-method-02
>>
>> Please indicate whether you support adoption in response to this e-mail; information about intent to implement (or use) it is also useful.
>>
>> The Call for Adoption will end on 18 November 2020.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark and Tommy
>>

> I’m very much in favor of a safe variation of POST.
>
> However,
> > for backwards compatibility with existing WebDAV implementations, SEARCH requests that use the text/xml or application/xml content types MUST be processed per the requirements established by [RFC5323].
> I think this is too restrictive. If it’s not possible to relax the RFC5323 requirements, I would favor using REPORT instead.

Perhaps the restriction can be relaxed by finding a way for the resource
to describe itself some other way, rather than by mime type?
In LDP this is done by having a resource describe itself as being of a certain
type with a Link relation ”type” ldp:Resource , ldp:Container, etc…

see example 2:
https://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/#ldpc-informative

It also has headers "Accept-Post:”  to guide the client
on what can be POSTed to a container and ”Accept-Patch”
to guide it on what PATCH language can be used.

A similar technique could be used to help specify the query language
here?

Henry
https://co-operating.systems/