Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 03:10:35PM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Hey Willy,
>
> Just responding to one bit from my perspective:
>
> > On 4 Nov 2020, at 2:35 pm, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> >
> > non-cacheability of the
> > method: what if a cache doesn't recognize the method and caches by
> > default?).
>
> I don't see any evidence of caches doing that (I quickly checked all of the
> caches covered by cache-tests.fyi). While new methods aren't introduced that
> often, I don't think caches behave like that, because there are so many
> uncacheable methods, and they get blamed for caching things incorrectly.

Very possible indeed. In any case I think this hypothesis ought to be
addressed, either by making sure the impact is low to null, or by figuring
a graceful degradation mode, or any such thing. I would personally have
thought that letting responses be cached based on cache-control could
have been useful.

Cheers,
Willy