Re: Digests: deprecating parameters?

--------
Roberto Polli writes:

> While I like sf-binary, actual digest-algorithms define their own serialization
> method (in this case it's accidentally the same of structured headers) but other
> algorithms use eg. integer.
>
> To support SF we could say that digest-algorithms like sha-256 and
> sha-512 should be supported
> in both sf-binary and the traditional token format.

The most sensible way (IMO) is to define that *all* digests are *always* sf-binary.

That makes for simpler parsing and simpler APIs to plug new digest algorithms into.

The alternative is that the digest algorithms are allowed a
choice from (a subset of) sf-item (= sh-integer / sh-decimal /
sh-string / sh-token / sh-binary / sh-boolean).

I have a hard time seing any non-speculative advantages in that ?

I dont know of any contemporary digest algorithms, and have a very
hard time even imagining future digest algorithms, which do not
output a finite sequence of binary 8-bit bytes, ready to stuff into
a sf-binary.

If some past/future/speculative digest algorithm wants a particular
serialization, only sf-binary is 100% certain to be able to carry it
anyway, it might for instance contain newlines.