Re: Adding user@ to HTTP[S] URIs

Austin Wright wrote:

> I think what the http-wg list is saying is, while the feature could be defined and standardized, user-agents cannot be obligated to support it.

I know, but this kind of thinking is always hindering HTTP progress or,
more in general, the development of any client/server protocol in use.
This style of thought is not helpful during innovation, I think.

Note that what I am tackling here is based on misinterpretation of
RFC3986, so it is a bug that ought to be fixed.  Also note that nothing
is breaking by adding this facilty, only enforcing its use could.

Users who do have a compliant user agent can immediately experience the
benefits for their own use, against their own sites.  That might be
their own IDP, but the support might explode when large providers
support it, as in https://godfried.boomans@gmail.com for access to webmail.

Thanks,
 -Rick