Re: nearing completion for HTTPS RR type (and SVCB RR type)

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, at 12:20, Ben Schwartz wrote:
> SVCB is designed for use with URIs, so a scheme is required. (Section
> 10, "The scheme SHOULD have an entry in the IANA URI Schemes
> Registry".) URIs that concern a domain name presumably have an
> "authority" in their URI that contains a "host", and might contain a
> "port".

I think that you have (correctly) scoped this to services that are identified by a URI that also has an authority containing a domain name.  However, the port part is not central.  What is central is that these are services and not origins.

The core definition of SVCB does not depend on the classic web origin concept.  This is largely because inclusion of a port number is not central to the definition.  Though it does establish a pattern for extending the attr-label with _port, that is a per-scheme choice.