Re: HTTP extensions, semantics and HTTP datagrams / MASQUE / WEBTRANS

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 6:28 PM, Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 5:33 PM David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf@gmail.com <mailto:dschinazi.ietf@gmail.com>> wrote:
> @Ben I don't think reusing extended CONNECT is an option for CONNECT-UDP, because of backwards compatibility: if a proxy were to receive a CONNECT request with ":protocol" set to "udp", it might ignore the ":protocol" header and create a TCP connection to the host and port instead of UDP.
>
> I don't think that's true.  Support for :protocol has to be signaled at startup with SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL, so it cannot be sent to a server that does not understand it.  RFC 8441 also says "On requests bearing the :protocol pseudo-header field ... the server MUST NOT create a tunnel to the host indicated by the :authority as it would with a CONNECT method request that was not modified by this extension.", so it's quite explicit that extended-CONNECT does not silently fall back to old-fashioned CONNECT.
>
> I think it's important that CONNECT-UDP to a non-supporting proxy fail instead of fallback to TCP.
>
> I believe Extended-CONNECT gives you this behavior.

We used Extended-CONNECT in one of the iterations of the WebTransport drafts in almost exactly this way, and I do think it was not un-reasonable if only looking at the text as written.

However, as Mark mentioned general direction over implementation mechanism at the moment, I think one of the main questions around H3 datagrams is how they differ from QUIC datagrams and whether that’s something that should have semantic meaning in HTTP.

I know that one of the reasons to split out into H3 datagrams was to have a flow ID present to allow multiple different flows of data to coexist, and there was quite lively discussion at the time which was fairly split as to the utility vs. dangers of such flow IDs.

The biggest questions in my mind in that area are: How much do we care about sharing an HTTP connection that is using HTTP semantics on some streams with these other frames? And does that, in turn, mean that we need to define HTTP semantics for the datagrams (H3 or H2 or otherwise)?

My personal gut reaction would be (a) yes, we do care and (b) probably not necessary as long as we can correctly demux what information is intended for what extension/protocol living at the other end.

That doesn’t lead me towards any objection to folding in H3 datagrams and CONNECT-UDP, although I would echo David when he says:
>> My main concern is that if we come up with a new HTTP mechanism that would like to use datagrams but couldn't be solved by extending CONNECT-UDP, then we'd be in a bind because it might be impossible to use both CONNECT-UDP and this new mechanism over the same connection.

Thanks,
Eric