Re: Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-18: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

>>> This makes the parsing algorithms normative for both parsing and
>>> serialization, which alleviates the concerns about skew.
>>>
>>> I do agree with Julian that making the (minor!) change to the ABNF to
>>> remove that axis of skew seems worthwhile, though I do not think I can make
>>> that a Discuss point (given that I, like him, would prefer to keep the ABNF
>>> as-is over removing it entirely as you propose).
>>
>> See latest commit.
>
> I see the update to make the parsing algorithm fully normative; is there
> also something on the empty-list ABNF front that I'm failing to find?

No. Making that change would be seen as encouraging sending of empty fields.

>>> The downthread discussion also made the claim that this is due to a desire
>>> to have exactly one way to serialize.  But what's the good in having
>>> exactly one way to serialize if you don't enforce that at the receiver?
>>> (Compatibility with already-defined header fields, no doubt, but it does
>>> kind of undercut some of the stated goals of this document.)
>>
>> Sorry, I lost state. Where did you get that impression?
>
> Julian said it at
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2020AprJun/0172.html and
> I didn't see anyone jumping up to correct it.

That wasn't a motivation that we ever discussed, as I recall. I don't know why Julian asserts it here.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/