Re: empty lists?, was: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-18.txt> (Structured Field Values for HTTP) to Proposed Standard

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 04:49:58AM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > > Thanks for clarifying.
> >
> > As per S 1.2 [1], the ABNF is not for parsing; it's for 'illustrat[ing] the range of acceptable wire representations.'
> >
> > The ABNF requires at least one member because sending an empty field value is not good practice; it's not something we encourage.
>
> So the real inconsistency here is that sending an empty value is not ok
> (forbidden?, not encouraged?), but an empty string is a valid parser input.

That does seem like a key topic for the DISCUSS ballot I just submitted.
(I wanted to get the rest of my comments available, and don't intend for
my DISCUSS text to be "the final word"; let's please continue this discussion
and go for clarity.)

-Ben