Re: New Draft: draft-ohanlon-transport-info-header

From: Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 18:50:53 +0800
To: "Piers O'Hanlon" <p.ohanlon@gmail.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi Piers,

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, 17:58 Piers O'Hanlon, <p.ohanlon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> - “It only provides information per response which isn’t very often”
> We mention in the draft that with H2+ one can send and arbitrary number of
> requests (using OPTIONS/HEAD) to obtain more measurements responses per
> unit time.

I have an observation but not sure it belongs in a document.
Implementations such as nginx have a soft max number of HTTP/2 requests
before closing the connection (default 1000 last I checked). If you're
trying to sample the transport info to frequently you may end ip blowing it
up. This seems unfortunate because the client use case is designed around
making smarter transport related decisions.

Cheers
Lucas