New Draft: draft-ohanlon-transport-info-header

From: Piers O'Hanlon <p.ohanlon@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:32:38 +0000
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Hi all,

We like would to present a new draft - Abstract:

  The Transport-Info header provides a mechanism to inform a client of the
last-mile server's view of the network transport related information such
as current delivery rate and round-trip time.  This information has a wide
range of uses such as client monitoring and diagnostics, or allowing a
client to adapt to current network conditions.

The draft is available in a few places - on Github:
https://bbc.github.io/draft-ohanlon-transport-info-header/draft-ohanlon-transport-info-header.html

Github Issues/code:
https://github.com/bbc/draft-ohanlon-transport-info-header

Datatracker:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ohanlon-transport-info-header/
Tools: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohanlon-transport-info-header

Thanks for fitting in James’ presentation of our draft at today’s meeting.
I wanted follow up on some of the questions:

- “How does it compare to ServerTiming Header”
It’s pretty different as the ServerTiming header provides info server
processing times whereas Transport-Info provides info on transport
connection metrics.

- “Privacy concerns”
We have tried to address some of these in the security section of the draft
- let us know if there’s specific concerns or things that aren’t tackled.

- “It only provides information per response which isn’t very often”
We mention in the draft that with H2+ one can send and arbitrary number of
requests (using OPTIONS/HEAD) to obtain more measurements responses per
unit time.

We would welcome any more feedback by email and/or Github issues

Thanks,

Piers O'Hanlon