Re: Final DATA frames

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 12:26:51PM -0500, Ian Swett wrote:
> I'm confused by the amount of pushback this got relative to all
> the work we have done to make PUSH and something approximating
> (since they're actually different) H2 priorities work on top of
> QUIC.

The main knock on the EOS DATA proposal is that its benefits are
marginal relative to the perceived issues its adoption may engender.
The same cannot (or could not) be said about priorities and push
promises.

> If I remember correctly, your main argument against this framing change was
> that the existing DATA frame with a length becomes largely useless and
                                                             ^^^^^^^
> might be under-exercised.

s/useless/unused/

> That makes me feel like we've over-optimized for the complex
> special cases and made a design error or two at least one step
> prior to this proposal.

I disagree.  The current HTTP/3 framing mechanism is not over-
optimized; it is designed to handle the general case.  It is the
EOS DATA proposal that is an actual optimization.

  - Dmitri.