RE: No validator in 200 response for conditional update

Yishuai summarized the issue correctly.

> From: Yishuai Li <yishuai@cis.upenn.edu> November 7, 2018 5:19 AM
> I think that sending etag is not a huge work itself, if the server is to implement etag at all.
> The difficulty is determining whether to send it or not, because sending etag in 2.2.2 is violating the specification. Is there a specific reason for this restriction? If not, shall we remove such constraint?

Exactly.
Sending ETag back all the time is a no-brainer.
There is no additional work here at all since we do send ETag with regular 2xx responses already in state update happy path.
But deciding when to send it and when not to send calls for quite a lot of dev work and previous request tracking infra (ongoing runtime cost).
And we really-really don't want to do this.
But spec says we MUST do this and doesn't explain/hint why.
May be the reason is valid (like security), but we need to know it so we can justify our investment.