Re: HTTP redirect for HTTP Adaptive Streaming (HAS) in CDN use cases

Hi Julian,
I think clarifications would help relating section 5.1.2 of rfc3986.

   ... For a document that is enclosed
   within another entity, such as a message or archive, the retrieval
   context is that entity.  Thus, the default base URI of a
   representation is the base URI of the entity in which the
   representation is encapsulated.

Now that I know that encapsulating the URI is not encapsulating the the
document itself, it is clear, however since this was under discussion of
quite a few people, before bringing it to HTTPbis, and we all missed it, it
might be good to help the reader by emphasizing this difference.
I think one confusing point was the use of HTML5 embedding tags such as
<embed> or <video> may lead you to the wrong conclusion that your document
is "embedded" within the encapsulation, while it is only logically embedded.

I am not sure what would be a good phrasing for that, but maybe something
along the line of:
"Note that a URI enclosed within another entity is not an encapsulation of
a document.
Therefore the base URI of such a document that is retrieved by such a URI,
must be established according to section 5.1.3"

If it doesn't make sense to add such a clarification, we can do it on an
external document we (the SVA) will be publishing for the video players
development community.

Best regards,
Ori

--

*Ori Finkelman*Qwilt | Work: +972-72-2221647 | Mobile: +972-52-3832189 |
orif@qwilt.com