Re: HTTP redirect for HTTP Adaptive Streaming (HAS) in CDN use cases

While I agree that Alt-Svc may be the to better solution looking forward,
we still need to resolve the issue for existing HTTP redirect
architectures, mainly for HLS as it is still the dominating video streaming
protocol, but for DASH also.
HTTP redirect is widely in use and clients that don't conform with the
relative resolution, as it seems to be the case, degrades qoe and cause a
significant performance hit on CDN load balancers.

If there is agreement that in case the playlist is requested separately,
and it is not embedded within another encapsulating entity, then the
playlist base URI is the final retrieval URI, after redirect, it would be
great if there could be some clarifications that establish this
understanding.

We could then work with player software developers to adjust their code
accordingly.
If there are gaps in browser XMLHttpRequest or fetch, we can also
articulate how this should be bridged.

Thanks,
Ori

--

*Ori Finkelman*Qwilt | Work: +972-72-2221647 | Mobile: +972-52-3832189 |
orif@qwilt.com