Re: HTTP redirect for HTTP Adaptive Streaming (HAS) in CDN use cases

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 3:59 PM Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Patrick,
>
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2018, 03:39 Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com wrote:
>

>> * alternative services might also fit your use case - rfc 7838 .. in
>> particular they have better fallback behavior if you want to revert to the
>> original URI in case of reachability.
>>

> The sad reality is that, in my experience, client support for using
> Alt-Svc like this is pretty bad. The last time I checked, even Chrome can't
> handle host redirection for HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/2 connections (I can dig out
> the bug if you like).

chrome should speak for themselves if they like, but my understanding from
previous comments is that they intend to fix this as part of the work for
supporting HQ at least for h2. (h1 has always been a little concerning
there as it uses the host and port implicitly)

> For non-browser clients, which Ori's document is likely targeting, I'd be
> shocked if they had any support for Alt-Svc in a fully compliant way. Given
> that there is trouble implementing redirects ;-).

I bring this up because its the only thing that I know of that satisfies
both relative references against the derived location _and_ fallback to the
original location in the case of reachability failure (which relative
references to the redirected url do not) - which is a nice pattern.