Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets-03.txt

Grease was definitely aimed a faulty servers as well.  There were a couple
of implementations of TLS that choked on new signature algorithms and -
from memory - named groups.  These were the direct motivation for the
grease design.

Sad news about okhttp.
On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 9:13 AM Lucas Pardue <Lucas.Pardue@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> IMO GREASE was targeted a middleboxes that made assumptions about the way
some bit spaces were used. As an endpoint operator it is difficult to
influence such boxes.

> Incorrectly handling H2 settings is unfortunate but solely in the realm
of endpoints. It's non-compliance and should be fixed.

> A similar class of problems were found with (I think) some python
implementations around the handling of 1xx status codes. The approach was
to fix them.

> Regards
> Lucas

HTTP/2 generally: we recently discovered that versions of the okhttp client
library before 3.1.0 would send a GOAWAY upon receiving an unknown setting
ID. This is causing us some difficulty as we attempt to perform
interoperation tests with our implementation.

> I've heard a few people suggest that we try something like GREASE<
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-grease-00> for HTTP/2 settings,
to expose this type of bug sooner.

<mailto:mcmanus@ducksong.com>> wrote:
> Hey All -

> First, sorry for the churn of publishing -03 and -02 back to back.. I had
fixed a typo as my last change but failed to add it to the repo (left it on
a local branch) before pushing -02.. as I hope this is the LC copy, I
wanted to get it in there. At least we don't have an ID numbering tax
(yet?).

> Anyhow - -03 reflects the resolution of WGLC discussion as best as I can
manage..

internet-drafts@ietf.org>> wrote:

directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol WG of the
IETF.

http://tools.ietf.org>.