RE: on HTTP/QUIC and HTTPBis

For me, the biggest answer is agility.  The reality is that we’ve heavily invested in our TCP stacks, and QUIC going over UDP is likely to require time to catch up, so I’m unconvinced of an instant performance benefit.  I’d be thrilled if we even get parity with TFO+TLS 1.3+HTTP/2 at first.  But there’s been good work happening in TCP for years that isn’t reliably deployable on the Internet – how long has TFO been an RFC?  And yet, it spent a long time off by default in each OS.  In Windows, we aren’t turning it on by default until we’ve added mitigations for the middleboxes that don’t play well when they see a different TCP behavior than they expected.  They exist, and they’re numerous.

HTTP has faced the same problem.  We (Microsoft) have HTTP features that we recommend not be deployed over the Internet, because we know of middleboxes that panic or behave badly.  More recently, several new standards have been, formally or informally, restricted to HTTPS-only for the same reason.  We’re freer to innovate inside the HTTPS tunnel, because there’s better control of which devices can see those bits.

By having encryption and integrity protection at the transport level, the transport gets the same freedom to innovate in the future.  And HTTP will reap the benefit of those future improvements over time.  It’s an investment, but one I hope will eventually pay dividends.

From: Patrick McManus [mailto:mcmanus@ducksong.com]
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 5:45 PM
To: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: on HTTP/QUIC and HTTPBis

Hey Mike, I really don't think we're that far apart except maybe in your use of the term layers. quic is being effectively componentized but not into layers that create full abstractions in the way a traditional stack works. So while transport and crypto are definitely blended (you cannot implement the transport without doing both transport'y things and crypto things and then transporty things again) I wouldn't call them layers. I'm trying out the term blended functions :) ietf quic has effectively been able to use the services of TLS 1.3 without modification - and thank goodness as we really don't need another security protocol - but the layering of cleartext->ciphertext->packets no longer exists (retransmits being an easy example). But these components definitely have logical interfaces and can be expressed in code in many many different ways which I hope makes them suitable to a great deal of diverse environments. This seems pretty close to your pluggable component vision and I support that as at least a model for describing what's going on.
That's all really an interesting side-discussion distracting from the original question (roughly: what feature motivates this thing?) I'm curious, do you have different answers?