Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-early-hints-03.txt> (An HTTP Status Code for Indicating Hints) to Experimental RFC

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 07:29:28 +0200
To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>, httpbis-chairs@ietf.org, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, draft-ietf-httpbis-early-hints@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, alexey.melnikov@isode.com
On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 09:59:32AM -0700, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Hypertext Transfer Protocol WG
> (httpbis) to consider the following document: - 'An HTTP Status Code for
> Indicating Hints'
>   <draft-ietf-httpbis-early-hints-03.txt> as Experimental RFC

I've just noticed that it's never mentionned that a client should be
prepared to receive multiple 103 responses as any informational response
(or at least I did not notice).

I think that indicating that multiple responses MAY be sent with complementary
and/or possibly overlapping links, it may help grasp the overall principle
and the relation between these informational responses and the final one.

The case I'm having in mind is the same as described in the PR comment, a
server-side gateway could speculatively send a 103 with a few site-specific
links while the server provides another 103 with some resource-specific
links.

Willy