Re: Concepts to improve Http2.0

On 28/07/2016 6:30 p.m., Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <em51dddd7f-de76-4e87-abcb-0f315b115499@bodybag>, "Adrien de Croy" w
> rites:
>
>> The problem with deferring headers in responses to after content, is=20
>> that proxies often make policy decisions based on response headers, and=20
>> therefore need these to be all up front.
>>
>> Trailers for this reason are also a problem
>
> We talked about this in the workshop, and yes, trailers *in general*
> is a problem, but the specific trailers people care about are not.
>
> The trailers people ask for, as far as I understood:
>
> 	Etag
>
> 	Set-cookie
>
> 	Cache-Control(/Expires/Age)
>
> They are *not* a problem.

Technically true. But those last three are exceedingly annoying if
pushed into Trailers. Verging on being an outright attack. Since we
reserve cache space and do a lot of storage activity before finding out
whether its actually not cacheable after all. Usually something else
potentially useful got discarded to make room for it as well.

Amos