Re: Issue with "bytes" Range Unit and live streaming

Reply in-line.

cp

On 5/11/16 6:16 PM, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> unless we allow Content-Length to also use the new unit (which I'd be
> dead against), I'd suggest we steer clear of minting any new range units.

[cp] I don't see how a Range Unit would apply to Content-Length.

Regardless of how a range is requested, the server is always
transferring bytes in the response body - whether indicated by
Content-Length, chunks, or whatever. The Content-Range response header
just lets the server indicate the returned range associated with the
response body *in terms of the indicated range unit* and *in the domain
of the representation*.

e.g. If a Range Unit called "blobs" is used, and a request is made with
"Range: blobs=5-11", the response could have header "Content-Range:
blobs=5-11/50" indicating that 7 blobs are being returned (out of 50) in
the response body and a "Content-Length: 123456" could also be supplied
designating that the response body (associated with blobs 5-11) is
123456 bytes.

Am I missing something?

> All the proposed use cases for new range units that I've seen are
> application specific, and could arguably better be dealt with using
> another header.
>
> Adrien
[cp] Doesn't the fact that there's a Range Unit Registry mean that Range
Units can be added that are application-specific - assuming there's
sufficient demand? It's just a different mechanism than adding custom
headers, IMHO - with well-defined semantics.

--

craig pratt

Caspia Consulting

craig@ecaspia.com