Re: dont-revalidate Cache-Control header

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:03 AM, Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, this doesn't feel like a great thing for us to promote as a web
> performance best practice. "If you use long cache lifetimes for your static
> content, the dont-revalidate cache control header will reduce the cost of
> client reloads" seems like a piece of advice folks might take, as would
> "Use the <meta> tag 'dont-reload-non-expired-resources' to avoid browsers
> revalidating your content when the user presses reload". On the other hand
> "you should find every image, script, stylesheet, etc and set the fetch
> option on each to say force-cached" feels more tedious and unlikely to be
> used.

To this point, the HTTP mechanism is something that FEO / optimization
proxies can do on your behalf - e.g. rewrite and/or bundle resources, add
version fingerprint, append the HTTP header we're discussing here. By
comparison, rewriting markup (HTML, CSS, JS) is significantly harder and
very expensive. Which is to say.. +1 for HTTP directive over markup.