RE: http/1 opportunistic encryption

IIS/http.sys does this as well.  While requests in absolute form are supported, in the event that two different apps have registered listeners for the http://example.com:80/path and https://example.com:443/path resources, a connection on port 443 requesting http://example.com/path gets routed to the second application.  That hasn't changed in our HTTP/2 implementation.

Frankly, my inclination would be to 503 instead -- *neither* app has registered to serve http://example.com/path over port 443. But that's the legacy we have....

-----Original Message-----
From: Ilari Liusvaara [mailto:ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi]
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:28 AM
To: Amos Jeffries
Cc: Erik Nygren; ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group
Subject: Re: http/1 opportunistic encryption

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:07:01PM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> If teh server is compliant with HTTP/1.1 it is expected to accept
> absolute-URI not just relative-URI.
>
> My understanding was that :scheme was supposed to be translated into
> absolute-URI for the HTTP/1 server when the scheme does not match the
> transport protocol used to the server. If it does match then
> relative-URI was the right thing to do.
>
> Whether reality matches that spec behaviour though is a good question.

Well, I have seen a server that when contacted over port 443 and then queried for http://example.org/ (using absolute-URI form) would interpret it as query for https://example.org/, and return different data from intended (expected site front page, got some test page with
200 status).

It was running Apache with PHP (yuck) using FastCGI.

-Ilari