Re: "Timeout" request header to tell server to wait for resource to become available

From: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:46:42 +1000
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Brendan Long <self@brendanlong.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 28 March 2015 at 11:46, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that what you want is accomplished by RFC 7240:
>
> Prefer: wait=5
>
> The units are perhaps suboptimal for your use case (seconds instead of
> milliseconds), but we might be able to make a change to support finer
> grained timing.

Incidentally, I've just found an erratum in RFC 7240: Section 1.1 says that
"delta-seconds" is defined in Section 8.1.3 of [RFC7231], but it's actually
in RFC 7234, Section-1.2.1. ‚ÄčI'll report it.

Regarding extending/modifying the header to accept sub-second timings, how
would current implementations treat:

    Prefer: wait=0.2

? It doesn't fit the syntax, so would it be ignored outright (as an
unrecognised header) most of the time?

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin