Re: Reviving discussion on error code 451

Thanks, Tim, for the explanation.

On 12/18/14 8:20 AM, Tim Bray wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com
> <mailto:lear@cisco.com>> wrote:
>

>     ​​
>     I'm asking: how would a computer handle that case differently than
>     451?
>

> ​1. If the response didn’t come with a message body, display an
> appropriately formatted and internationalized message describing the
> nature of the obstacle
> 2. Automatically attempt to access the resource via whatever
> workarounds are currently available
> 3. If the client is a crawler, update a statistical database which is
> tracking patterns in legal demands affecting Internet operations
> ​​
>
>     ​​
>     That is all.  And yes, the answer to that question should be in
>     the draft.
>
> ​​
> I’m assuming you would be OK with a “For example...” context.  Because
> the people who are asking for this just want to report a particular
> class of breakage, not trying to micromanage how people receiving the
> reports should deal with it. I would be actively against any attempt
> to prescribe client behavior in the face of legal obstacles.

Ok, next question:

Do you want to subclass the response?  Does it matter to you (or whoever
is interested) whether the take down is due to, say, a DMCA request
versus child online protection, versus the right to be forgotten, versus
some other reason?  That is- would it matter to those three cases?

Eliot