Re: Reviving discussion on error code 451

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:

> ​​
> I'm asking: how would a computer handle that case differently than 451?

​1. If the response didn’t come with a message body, display an
appropriately formatted and internationalized message describing the nature
of the obstacle
2. Automatically attempt to access the resource via whatever workarounds
are currently available
3. If the client is a crawler, update a statistical database which is
tracking patterns in legal demands affecting Internet operations
​​

> ​​
> That is all.  And yes, the answer to that question should be in the draft.

​​
I’m assuming you would be OK with a “For example...” context.  Because the
people who are asking for this just want to report a particular class of
breakage, not trying to micromanage how people receiving the reports should
deal with it. I would be actively against any attempt to prescribe client
behavior in the face of legal obstacles.

--
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)