Re: WPD Discovery Options

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 14:58:49 +0100, DIEGO LOPEZ GARCIA
<diego.r.lopez@telefonica.com> wrote:

>> WPD discusses discovery of proxies using a well known URI. Automatic
>> proxy discovery may be desirable by some. The choice of
> an automatic proxy discovery method should be decided by the client.
> Below is a selection of possible methods:
>
> mDNS / DNS-SD: the best all round solution. DNS can query a
> well-known/predefined WPD hostname(s) and is currently supported
> by wide variety of clients. One drawback is that DNS can be spoofed so
> would require a trusted network.
>
> PDP/PDN Context: best for working with a mobile network. It is also
> possible to use the PDP/PDN signalling also over WiFI etc
> for configuring parameters, though in WiFi scenarios tethering can
> become an issue: a client could detect the network type to the >next hop
> which could be a tethered wifi connection but onwards from this point
> could be any type of network. (Any suggested solutions
> to this are welcome!)

I think it is important to find a single method that works everywhere, if
possible. Once that is in place, it would be possible for other actors to
optimize that for specific domains. E.g. if we standardize on a DNS based
discovery, you could push the relevant records to the device in PDP
context. Higher layer code still only needs to know about a single method.

/Martin Nilsson