Re: WPD Discovery Options

On 4 November 2014 07:55, Martin Nilsson <nilsson@opera.com> wrote:
> I think it is important to find a single method that works everywhere, if
> possible. Once that is in place, it would be possible for other actors to
> optimize that for specific domains. E.g. if we standardize on a DNS based
> discovery, you could push the relevant records to the device in PDP context.
> Higher layer code still only needs to know about a single method.

I think that if anything has a chance of working everywhere, it would
be a DNS-based approach (intentionally handwaving about RFC 6762
here).  My experience here is that the operational hurdles are
significant.  Discovery is hard in general because it relies on
properties of the network below the IP layer.  That means dealing with
all sorts of wireline and wireless access network technologies, the
operational considerations imposed by each, and all the complications
of middleboxes on those networks.

>From that perspective, it's easy to see how a "just rely on a name
being entered" is an easy conclusion to reach: you can't say that it
runs afoul of the morass

That's assuming that we can agree in principle that discovery is worth
pursuing; I'm not certain that we all agree on what the desired
properties are regarding authorization.  This is always a challenging
topic of discussion here: we don't know how to do UX, but it's also
critical in determining the properties of any action that touches
users.