Re: #578: Header Table and Static Table Indices Switched

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:09:29 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 04:51:50PM +0100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> <https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/578>
>
> This hasn?t seen much discussion on list, and no one seems to have complained about it beyond Jeff.
>
> Does anyone want to argue for changing this, or should we WONTFIX?

I think that if there are strong opinions in both directions, it deserves
being still studied openly. It's just a matter of encoding, variations are
possible (I proposed one some time ago, I don't know if it would have
addressed both usages).

Why not put numbers on the table. How many different non-standard headers
Jeff needs, etc...

I'd like that we don't release a protocol which causes significant
frustration to every single participant for one reason or another.
At least the schedule is not a valid response to tell these people
that they'll get a less efficient protocol for their use case, and
I'd expect that a short time later someone would have found the
best solution, so let's seek it now!

Willy