Re: h2 header field names

--------
In message <54088BD2.1030100@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:

>The main reason why I'm concerned about arbitrary binary data is that
>all of the HTTP APIs I'm aware essentially work on character sequences,
>not octet sequences (in header fields).

That is my concern too:  Most code handling HTTP today don't expect
to see embedded NUL's, and a lot of it will happily send through
"poison" characters like ESC.

>The lack of a standard encoding in HTTP/1.1 is already a problem;

But we could apply gentle persuasion here:  If we make HPACK work
really well with baser64 (it does, but could be better) a lot of
people will take the hint.  Not everybody, but a lot of them.