Re: h2 priority

Hi Roy,

So the priority dependencies is really a feature googlers championed, I'm
surprised that we haven't seen anyone from that team contributing to this.
I do, however, support it so I'll carry on the discussion.

The most important bit of consensus was that experience has shown us the
few bits of spdy priority can't be aggregated well. The easiest
illustration is a proxy...

if 2 inbound sessions have 3 streams each of priorities {0,1,2} and {5, 6,
7} all headed to the same origin what is a reasonable implementation for
the priorities on the 1 outbound session? The incoming priorities only have
meaning wrt other streams in the same session, they have no global meaning.
Each client is incented to pick priorities at the most important end of the
spectrum - indeed perhaps to only use the highest priority which is back to
having no priority at all.

So that was the core issue that motivated a more complicated scheme, and I
think there was strong support around that. And of course things other than
proxies aggregate.. OS's.. even browsers between tabs and plugins are
basically doing the same function sometimes with more context than others.

After that you get into more speculative use cases for sure. I've got one
whiteboarded regarding dependencies for images based on what the layout
engine says might be visible at any moment in time, but its stalled mostly
on non-network internal browser stuff of figuring out what might be visible
at any moment in time :) For the most part I agree we are basically
speculating on what might work in that space right now, but the previously
mentioned aggregation bits were a known problem that the text sought to
address.

hth