Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-14 and draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression-09

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 23:42:22 -0600
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> I have been reading this over the past few weeks (on various planes
> and now at home) and am frankly surprised by the number of
> non-editorial comments I have amassed...

On the one hand, I'm surprised you're just noticing this; OTOH, you
were working pretty hard on updating HTTP/1.1. I got so overwhelmed
with all the ways caching was being deprecated, let alone anything else
making me uncomfortable, that my arguments went meta about how this is
no way to design a protocol. Followed by shutting up (mostly).

So, good on ya for trying to address these issues in last call. Can't
say as I disagree with you on any of it, but hopefully you have the
knowledge and credibility I (and others who aren't exactly happy) lack
for doing anything about it other than throwing our hands up in the air
in the face of those forces opposed to intermediary caching, or any
notion of proper Web architecture, or fidelity to HTTP/1.1, etc.

-Eric