Re: Push and Caching

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:20:08 +1000
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 20 August 2014 03:25, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that the `Cache-Control: nocache` response is a useful
> feature.  I do remember being careful to permit uncacheable responses,
> knowing that this would be an important use case.

+1

With jetty SPDY we were only pushing static resources, but I  think that
static content is often moved off to CDNs anyway, so it is pushing any
dynamically generated associated resources that will be needed to reduce
the RTTs.

With jetty http2 we have re factored so that we can push dynamic resources
including ones that may be transient and marked no-cache. We are working
with application APIs so that details like what session/query
string/parameters to use for the push can be sorted out with knowledge from
the application framework.    Thus a pushed response to a GET /index.html
may include highly customised/personalised data and be different for every
push.

Off topic somewhat:

I want to be able
> to use push to trivially replace long-polling and this would help with
> that.

I can see that as being very useful for non-browser clients.      It would
be great if it could also be done in browser... but is there any suggestion
that a js API will be made available so that javascript frameworks can be
notified of the arrival of pushed resources?

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>