RE: [http2-spec] Hpack optimization (#587)

What’s surprising about If-Unmodified-Since?  Not for a GET, sure, but perfectly reasonable for a PUT.

From: Greg Wilkins [mailto:gregw@intalio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:59 AM
To: HTTP Working Group
Subject: Re: [http2-spec] Hpack optimization (#587)

Move this here as don't want to discuss on issue comments:

On 13 August 2014 17:23, Mark Nottingham <notifications@github.com<mailto:notifications@github.com>> wrote:

application/x-javascript is non-standard; I don't think we want to encourage that.

text/html; charset=utf8 might be more the go.

images, css and javascript were all more frequent than html.   But if none of them have good standard content-types, then I'm OK to favour text/html; charset=utf8

A few more:

  *   If we're going to include expect, why not 100-continue?
  *   If we're going to include access-control-allow-origin, it'd be nice to confirm with the W3C that this is going to stick (they've had a few tries at CORS), and that there's not anything else on the horizon.
  *   If-Unmodified-Since? Really?
  *   Max-Forwards? Considering we're no longer hop-by-hop, that's a good trick.
  *   Refresh is non-standard, and badly interoperable. Shouldn't be encouraged.
  *   Uhhhhh, we don't allow Transfer-Encoding; why is it in the static table?

All good points..... I'm starting to feel that these all combined warrant a breaking change in themselves... but no hurry to do so.
cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com<mailto:gregw@intalio.com>>