Re: [http2-spec] Hpack optimization (#587)

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:58:30 +1000
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Move this here as don't want to discuss on issue comments:

On 13 August 2014 17:23, Mark Nottingham <notifications@github.com> wrote:

> application/x-javascript is non-standard; I don't think we want to
> encourage that.
>
> text/html; charset=utf8 might be more the go.

images, css and javascript were all more frequent than html.   But if none
of them have good standard content-types, then I'm OK to favour text/html;
charset=utf8

A few more:

>    - If we're going to include expect, why not 100-continue?
>    - If we're going to include access-control-allow-origin, it'd be nice
>    to confirm with the W3C that this is going to stick (they've had a few
>    tries at CORS), and that there's not anything else on the horizon.
>    - If-Unmodified-Since? Really?
>    - Max-Forwards? Considering we're no longer hop-by-hop, that's a good
>    trick.
>    - Refresh is non-standard, and badly interoperable. Shouldn't be
>    encouraged.
>    - Uhhhhh, we don't allow Transfer-Encoding; why is it in the static
>    table?

All good points..... I'm starting to feel that these all combined warrant a
breaking change in themselves... but no hurry to do so.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>