RE: legality of Transfer-Encoding: chunked bodies in HTTP/2

From: Osama Mazahir <OSAMAM@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 21:48:30 +0000
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>, "Zhong Yu" <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, Johnny Graettinger <jgraettinger@chromium.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Ok...so it appears we actually do want intermediaries to transform [1]...and the current spec text is incorrect.

If so, we need to add some inescapably obvious editorial text into the spec stating that "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" is illegal and intermediaries MUST convert (in both directions) along with guidance of how to do it (e.g. presence/absence of Content-Length, 0-chunk <--> END_STREAM, etc).  Currently, there are only 2 references to the string "Transfer-Encoding" and one of them is just an itemization of headers that "SHOULD" be removed, as part of a blurb about removing connection specific headers.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2014JulSep/1635.html

> "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" is illegal and intermediaries MUST convert

That.