Re: Recovery from decompression failure (was: Re: Cost analysis: (was: Getting to Consensus: CONTINUATION-related issues))

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 23 July 2014 17:55, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So decoder changes table size only when it sees encodong context update?
> It
> > works, but it has a disadvantage because decoder has to retain header
> table
> > size unchanged until HEADERS/PP are received, which might never arrive.
> > On the other hand, SETTINGS ACK is guaranteed to arrive (and we have a
> > timeout for it). If decoder changes header table size, including
> eviction to
> > the lowest value it advertised when it received SETTINGS ACK, encoder
> only
> > sends its selected value based on the last seen value in SETTINGS decoder
> > sent. This is because decoder already performed eviction based on the
> lowest
> > value and encoding context update comes after SETTINGS ACK.
>
> Yes, I would use SETTINGS ACK as the marker to use for trimming the
> header table down, but still require the next header block after that
> to include a context update.  That might mean two rounds of eviction
> if the encoder chooses to use a smaller table size, but that's the
> safest approach.

​I understand that we chosen the safest approach.  Thanks for the
clarification.
​
​Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa​