Re: Cost analysis: (was: Getting to Consensus: CONTINUATION-related issues)

Hi Michael,

On 21 Jul 2014, at 9:16 am, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com> wrote:

> I think perhaps we are too focused on preventing an endpoint from sending headers that are too large (the 0.2% case) and not on interoperability and avoiding dropping the connection at all costs.
>
> A strawman proposal:
>
> 1. Have endpoints OPTIONALLY advertise a maximum uncompressed header size limit, above which is guaranteed to fail - this would just be advisory for the sender.
>
> 2. Have the maximum compressed header frame size be the same as the max-frame-size setting - all frames are thus treated equally for max frame size.

I think we’re already there for these two...

> 3. Define how a server responds to headers that are too large (431 + GOAWAY?, close connection)
>
> 4. Define how a client responds to headers that are too large (GOAWAY?, close connection)
>
> 5. Provide implementation guidance for DoS attack handling to avoid interop issues, e.g., should not disconnect just because of a single too-large header frame, etc.

These I expect the editor to address; if people have suggestions after seeing how Martin incorporates the resolutions, I’m sure he’d be glad to have input.

> I think #3 and #4 are the only significant area of discussion - there are ways to reset the header table in both directions, but I worry about receivers being able to detect that the header table they have is the same as what the sender used as the basis of the current HEADERS/PUSH_PROMISE frame.  For example, if a client sends 3 consecutive requests in a row, it may not see the 431 response to the first request in time to correctly encode the subsequent requests.
>
> It may be the simplest course is to require the connection to be torn down, but we might be able to add a "table version" field to HEADERS and PUSH_PROMISE to track which header table was in use by the sender, add the "table version" field to the header table size value that is send in the SETTINGS frame for the receiver to communicate the active version on the receiver, and define a RST_STREAM error code for "wrong header table version" that triggers a re-send.

I think “require” is too strong here — there are a number of ways of handling this case, and I don’t see a reason to tie the recipient’s hands. Suggest, on the other hand...

Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/