Re: Call for Consensus: Frame size (to address #553)

In message <943AECCF-EE19-4A78-9C39-8C37073F8B53@iaea.org>, K.Morgan@iaea.org writes:

>> There can only ever be an issue with the first request, which is
>> typically sent before the peers SETTINGS arrive.
>
>Ok, now I understand. You're advocating for MAX_FRAME_SIZE to be a hard limit
>regardless of the default value.

What I'm advocating is that

A) you can *always* get a 256 byte frame through.

and

B) that all software SHOULD be configurable to allow 16KB frames.

No more, no less.

>As I mentioned before, if I understood Jeff correctly, he didn't like this
>approach because he couldn't just always use a fixed 16K frame size.

And as I analysed in my previous email:  In all the cases where
Jeff has an opportunity to do that, there is almost certainty that
it will always work.

The one case I can see where it might fail, is if Jeff tries to access an
"intelligent lightbulb" at edison.example.com, after example.com's main
websever stuffed his browser with 14 kB of cookies.

That's a corner-case I can live with.