Sending priority from a server

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:07:14 -0700
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/pull/526

As it stands, I think that this isn't a good idea.

I have no problem with the idea that a server might like to request
that a client prioritize uploads, that's congruent with what we have.

However, this patch conflates the idea of requesting priority with
indicating intent.  That effectively creates a negotiation and
negotiation in protocols is something that is to be avoided.

Priority is currently conceptually easy: you say what you want the
other person to do.  When you add the possibility for negotiation,
then you are trying to reach agreement.  That's hard.  Suddenly you
have to worry about second order effects.  You start second-guessing.
You might set a higher priority than might be ideal because you
anticipate that your peer is going to go lower.

Anyhoo, I'd be happy to entertain something that allowed a server to
prioritize uploads, but this is - I think - not a great idea.