Re: willchan's thoughts on continuations, jumbo frames, etc after *only skimming* the threads

Will,

sorry for the volume of emails and thanks for the  reasonable summary.

It is precisely because of concerns about (1) interoperability that I and
others recommenced our anti-CONTINUATION campaign.

The intent of the "Greg et al" proposal is primarily to get rid of
CONTINUATIONS, so increasing the max frame size and introducing some
settings to limit it, while good things to do, will not stop the disquiet
in the WG.

The issue being that with have two entirely different mechanisms to
fragment and stream application data:

   1.  DATA*
   2.  (HEADERS|PUSH_PROMISE)CONTINUATION*

It is entirely unacceptable to have this second mechanism when it is only
required for 0.001% of traffic (even less if we accept a 16 bit frame size)
and has significantly different characteristics and can disrupt the QoS of
the first.

The implementations that do not wish to support large headers have declared
they will not implement CONTINUATIONs, but this gives us a (1)
interoperability problem as it is possible to use CONTINUATIONS for small
headers.    It was proposed several times to make CONTINUATIONs only
allowed for large headers, but these were rejected so that they are
necessary to support to ensure (1).    Hence we are in the mess that we are
in.

Whilst I fundamentally agree with Roberto's desire to be able to
fragment/interleave headers,  I fail to see how a WG that sanctioned the
creation of h2-13 can suddenly decide that QoS/DOS from large headers is an
issue that MUST be addressed, but only when considering the "Greg at al"
proposal?  if the WG does decide that headers MUST be fragmentable and
interleaveable, then the solution is to send them over a segment in DATA
frames (or a HEADER frame that works exactly like DATA frames), not to have
2 separate data streaming mechanisms in the one protocol.

If there really is no consensus on the >=24bit Greg et al proposal, then I
guess I could live very discontently with:

   - 16 bit frames
   - max frame/header size in settings
   - CONTINUATIONs only for headers >64KB
   - implementation that have max header size <= 64KB need not implement
   CONTINUATIONs

...and yes I do realise that this consigns CONTINUATIONs more or less to
the scrap heap....  but that's what you get when you design entire complex
mechanisms for tiny fractions of the user base.

regards

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>